Friday 18 November 2011

Cross Club heads to Durham

Last Sunday Cross Club headed to Durham for round 7 of the CXNE.  Racing within 30 minutes of your front doors and starting at a sociable 12.30 are seriously positive points!

It was the first time that the University Cricket grounds had been used for a race and there had been a lot of discussion about the course before we arrived.  I had been to the cricket ground before and was confidently telling everyone it would be a really fast course with no hills.  It turns out that I couldn't have been more wrong!

I know I say this every blog, but this course is now my favourite.  With some long fast flat sections, a decent set of stairs, some steep descents and the 'Mur de Durham'.

With over a hundred rider this was by far the biggest cross race I've done.  A toilet trip before the start meant I was starting towards the back of the pack again!  As usual the start was furious, the course had been modified for the first lap with the tight turns taken out to avoid bunching.  As we raced along the river bank we went through a large gate and turned towards the steps.  Before the race started I had already realised that the steps would be a bottleneck, so I pushed hard to reach them quickly.  Unfortunately, the queue had already started and I was stood stationary with other riders holding my bike on my shoulder. As I reached the top of the steps I could see the riders that had cleared the steps first and they were well away.  It meant I would have to push hard to catch them, but it's always nice to have a target ahead of you!

Me trying to make up a few places.  With a face like that I must be flying!
The course was pretty muddy and within a couple of laps it was fairly chewed up, the 'Mur' and another hill were both scrambles with bikes on shoulders.  This was the first race I have had to shoulder the bike but I soon got used to it.  I like it things turn muddy, the racing gets more exciting!  Within a few laps I was passing people I am usually behind in the standings, I felt good and I was enjoying myself.

I think Rob had given it everything (the 'Mur' is in the background)
As the bell rang I gave it a good push and made up a couple of places in the last lap.  I'm still not a fast cross rider, but I am getting better and managed to hold off the lapping I usually get from my team mates, well, all expect Paul who was, as usual, on a flyer.

Both Rob and Paul both had good races.  Robs bike even held together which is a fantastic result for him!  It must be the Gucci new wheels he treated himself to.

As usual I have borrowed the photos from the league website and I would like to thank whoever they belong to.  I would also like to thank the event organisers, another brilliant race and a fantastic course. 

I really do love riding Cyclo Cross!


No comments:

Post a Comment